Skin pigmentation is a condition wherein dark patches appear on the skin. Although not life threatening, it can be a detriment to self-esteem.
Hyper-pigmentation is a condition that results in too much skin pigment, called melanin, in certain areas of your skin. Hyper-pigmentation can be the result of previous inflammatory skin conditions, such as acne, insects bites, cuts or abrasion.
Melasma is a skin pigmentation disorder that appears on the face in the form of tan or brown patches, especially the forehead, cheeks, upper lip, nose, and chin. Melasma is typically seen in pregnant women. Well, men too can get melasma sometimes.
Vata plays a role in the migration and accumulation of the melanin pigment. Bhrajaka Pitta governs the colour and complexion of the body and so hyper- pigmentation can happen due to an imbalance of both the vata and the pitta.”
- Discoloration of the skin
- Presence of patches
Causes for Pigmentation
- Dietary imbalances
- Taking of birth control pills
- Over sun exposure
- Wounds or injury
- Fixed drug reaction
- Post peels
- Melanin provides color to skin
- Excessive production of melanin causes dark patches
Tips and Diet
- Wash your face at least twice a day using oil and alcohol-free formulas.
- Exfoliate three times per week.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight between 9am-4pm.
- Regardless of the SPF (sun protection factor) apply generous amounts of sunscreen at an interval of three to four hours.
- Wear goggles, broad hats and loose clothes.
- Use light colored clothes that deflect the rays of the sun in summer.
- Hydrate yourself by drinking at least 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.
- Avoid color cosmetics like ‘blush-on’ and fragrances like lavender, as these absorb UV rays and can cause hyper-pigmentation.
- Balance social habits, especially smoking,
- Adequate hours of sleep in a regular pattern.
- A mixture of lemon juice and honey can be applied on the face. This acts like bleach.
- Apply a mixture of yoghurt, honey and cucumber juice in equal proportions and leave on for 15-20 minutes.
- People with a pitta constitution can consider adding small pinches of Indian sarsaparilla, cumin, fennel seeds, coriander and licorice to their boiled water to draw out toxins that compromise skin pigmentation.