Dark circles or black circles under the eyes are rarely caused by temporary circumstances and are more difficult to treat than bags under the eyes. They are often the result of some combination of the following: lack of sleep, chronic stress, menstrual disorders, pregnancy, poor diet and medications. For others, dark circles are a hereditary trait. People who suffer from allergies and sensitivities often have a bigger problem with dark circles as well.
Symptoms of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Dark coloration of the skin under the eyes. Tiredness from lack of sleep or stress may also be experienced if fatigue is the cause. There can be some puffiness; see bags under the eyes.
Causes of Dark Circles Under Eyes
- Severe sleep problems
2. Nutrition, poor diet
4. Heredity Dark circles can run in families.
5. Exposure to sun
6. Allergies, asthma, eczema
8. Pregnancy and Menstruation
9. Aging – as the skin thins with aging, blood vessels below the skin are more visible.
Tips and Diet
- Sleep Get enough sleep
2. Diet: Eat a whole-foods, plant-based diet, drink plenty of water, and avoid alcohol, coffee, tea and caffeinated soft drinks. These go a long way in preventing circles and wrinkles.
3. Don’t smoke.
4. Sunscreen. Use a sunscreen when outside.